Thread poster: Matt Petrowski
Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:45
English
+ ...
cánula Sep 5, 2012

I tried the search and got 83 results. Restrict to Spanish->English and I got 18. Turn on all options and I got 23.

I did not get 73 results, nor did I get 3.

This seems to suggest some sort of non-determinism in the search algorithm. That would in turn suggest a bug, I’d say.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cánula Sep 5, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

I tried the search and got 83 results. Restrict to Spanish->English and I got 18. Turn on all options and I got 23.

This seems to suggest some sort of non-determinism in the search algorithm. That would in turn suggest a bug, I’d say.

I have just tried again and got 73 results. I tried ENG/SPA and SPA/ENG. If I try only ENG/SPA I get 55 results.

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Received debugging information Sep 5, 2012

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington wrote:

I ran the search for cánula again with all the options enabled and got back three results, not the 73 matches that Walter says he got.

The reason for this is that your search was limited by few General and Specific fields selected under "Advanced options". By clicking "Restore default search options", selecting the Spanish to English language pair, and searching for "cánula", I received 23 matches. Checking "Also search reverse language pair" resulted in 79 matches. If I then uncheck the "Fuzzy diacritics" option, I get 73 results -- 6 instances of "canula" are also matched if "fuzzy diacritics" is enabled.

Ambrose Li wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what happened here, but when given the same search criteria, the results are always the same.

Ambrose Li wrote:

I did a quick test and I can confirm that we are indeed getting sensible results now. Kudos for that.

That said, I am seeing two problems even with this very quick test:

1. The results still do not seem exactly right. I assume the search is based on cosine similarity or a similar technique where the results don’t necessarily contain every word in the search query, but I think results that contain every word in the search query should still appear before results that contain only a subset of the query terms.

2. The categories aren’t right. I have a term in my own personal glossary that is filed under General. In the search results it is coming up under Engineering.

Could you provide "direct links" from the bottom of search result pages that demonstrate these issues? As far as how the matching and sorting is performed: the searching is powered by Apache Lucene, and is sorted based on the "relevancy score" that Lucene assigns to each result.

Mónica Algazi wrote:

is there any chance that those of us who feel more at ease with the good old term search can still use that one, or is it bound to disappear altogether?

The old term search will remain intact for the time being, but the goal is for the new search engine to provide better results faster than the old page, all of the time, so that there should be no need for the old search page. Are there specific reasons why you would continue to use the old page?

Thanks,
Matt

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
direct links Sep 5, 2012

Matt Petrowski wrote:

Could you provide "direct links" from the bottom of search result pages that demonstrate these issues? As far as how the matching and sorting is performed: the searching is powered by Apache Lucene, and is sorted based on the "relevancy score" that Lucene assigns to each result.

1. http://www.proz.com/search/?term=神父&language_depth=1&open_new_window=&folding=&es=1

The search returned 2301 results, with the first 7 being kosher. Starting from the 8th most of the results aren’t really relevant any more, though some do have both characters in the query (but not as a single compound).

Checking “Match entire phrase” gets rid of the spurious matches, though even when the spurious matches are included I don’t think it makes sense to have entries with only 1 character matched appearing before entries with both characters matched (that are nevertheless spurious).

2. The above actually also returns a few results with the exact same problem (i.e., entries filed under General listed under Engineering). But an example from my own glossary would be

http://www.proz.com/search/?term=主教&language_depth=1&open_new_window=&exact_match=1&folding=&es=1

See the 3rd entry in the list.

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated term search now requires "opt-in" Sep 5, 2012

Since some have reported problems with the new term search, I have changed it to an opt-in feature. Clicking the "Try the new ProZ.com term search" or "Go back to the old term search" links near the top of the term search page (http://www.proz.com/search/ ) will save your preference of which version to use.

The new term search page will continue to be improved according to the feedback that is r
... See more
Since some have reported problems with the new term search, I have changed it to an opt-in feature. Clicking the "Try the new ProZ.com term search" or "Go back to the old term search" links near the top of the term search page (http://www.proz.com/search/ ) will save your preference of which version to use.

The new term search page will continue to be improved according to the feedback that is reported in this thread. I encourage everyone to try the new feature and to post feedback and suggestions here.

Thanks,
Matt
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
How is it overall? Sep 7, 2012

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. Matt is working on some of the issues raised. In the meantime, we'd like to get feedback from others on the general usefulness of the new search feature. If you have tried the new search and have a few minutes to spare, please complete this brief survey.

Thanks!

(Update: To the first group of respondents: thanks! Matt will be working on the "back" bu
... See more
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. Matt is working on some of the issues raised. In the meantime, we'd like to get feedback from others on the general usefulness of the new search feature. If you have tried the new search and have a few minutes to spare, please complete this brief survey.

Thanks!

(Update: To the first group of respondents: thanks! Matt will be working on the "back" button.)
Collapse

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixes and updates Sep 10, 2012

Based on feedback so far, here are some changes that have been made to the new term search page:

• Fixes to personal glossary terms showing the wrong fields.
  • More informative Fields column overall; now shows General, Specific, and "Write-in" fields if they are specified.
  • It is now indicated in the table results header if the results have been filtered. Each restriction can be lifted to broaden results for the current s... See more
Based on feedback so far, here are some changes that have been made to the new term search page:

• Fixes to personal glossary terms showing the wrong fields.
  • More informative Fields column overall; now shows General, Specific, and "Write-in" fields if they are specified.
  • It is now indicated in the table results header if the results have been filtered. Each restriction can be lifted to broaden results for the current search.

More updates are upcoming. If you have any feedback, please feel free to provide it in this thread, and once again we kindly ask you to take a brief survey to share your thoughts on the new term search.

Thanks,
Matt
Collapse

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Handling of browser "Back" button fixed Sep 11, 2012

As requested by several people, proper handling of the browser "Back" button has now been implemented. After clicking through a link in the search results (with the "Open links in a new window" disabled), hitting the Back button will now return you to the exact page of results you were at prior.

Matt

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 20:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not broke... Oct 1, 2012

I only tried it briefly and it didn't seem to work, although I must admit I didn't spend more than 20 seconds on it. I prefer to stick to things that work for me already. I think that this type of new feature needs to be absolutely idiot-proof and involve a minimal learning curve, rather than complicating the thing.

Mónica Sauza
Mónica Sauza  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the fforts, however... Oct 15, 2012

...the new feature does nor display as many options as before. I certainly agree with neilmac.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Glad with the improvements... Oct 16, 2012

... and custom options and search results. I think they are a major improvement. In the past I had to search for keywords on the page to fine-tune the search results and this is overall better now.

However, the custom search settings don't seem to be saved. I get a notice that they are, but for how long? Are they connected to my profile, or just to the one tab that I am using at that moment? I hope the first, because I never keep a search page open, I use a custom shortcut in Opera.
... See more
... and custom options and search results. I think they are a major improvement. In the past I had to search for keywords on the page to fine-tune the search results and this is overall better now.

However, the custom search settings don't seem to be saved. I get a notice that they are, but for how long? Are they connected to my profile, or just to the one tab that I am using at that moment? I hope the first, because I never keep a search page open, I use a custom shortcut in Opera.

Now I just wish that pink "switch to the old term search" would go away or be placed somewhere less central to the page, as well as the announcement that the function has been update. IMHO these are items that belong in a side bar on a web page.

It would also be an improvement if the main search box (that has a thin outline) actually just had a somewhat different tone/background color.

Thanks for the efforts.
Collapse

Rosa Paredes
Rosa Paredes  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
Old vs new Oct 17, 2012

The old search showed in parentheses the number of replies a question had received. I find that helpful, because the chosen answer is not always the best answer, so If I know (because I can see it) that there are more answers to that question I will continue and check out the other answers. I do not have that info with the new term search; I see the term and the chosen answer. Additional action is required to find out whether or not there were more answers. Other than that, so far so good.
... See more
The old search showed in parentheses the number of replies a question had received. I find that helpful, because the chosen answer is not always the best answer, so If I know (because I can see it) that there are more answers to that question I will continue and check out the other answers. I do not have that info with the new term search; I see the term and the chosen answer. Additional action is required to find out whether or not there were more answers. Other than that, so far so good.

Thanks,

Rosa
Collapse

Sean Wingert
Sean Wingert  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
French to English
+ ...
URL for Spanish to English Oct 28, 2012

Hello All,

Any ideas why this URL doesn't list results in Spanish?

http://www.proz.com/search/?term=hola&from=eng&to=esp&bidirectional=1

But this one works properly for French?
... See more
Hello All,

Any ideas why this URL doesn't list results in Spanish?

http://www.proz.com/search/?term=hola&from=eng&to=esp&bidirectional=1

But this one works properly for French?

http://www.proz.com/search/?term=bonjour&from=eng&to=fra&bidirectional=1

Thanks in advance!

Sean
Collapse

Sean Wingert
Sean Wingert  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
French to English
+ ...
spanish is esl in URL Oct 28, 2012

Sorry, I just figured it out. I used firebug to see the dropdown < option value="esl" > Spanish < / option>

That said, where is the list of URL arguments? I'd like to open results unfolded for example and possibly limit the result set.

Thanks!

Sean

[Edited at 2012-10-28 17:13 GMT]

Fernando Domeniconi
Fernando Domeniconi  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Back button Nov 15, 2012

This is not a big deal, but I am having problems when I use the back button. When I search for a word and click on a specific result to check, if I click the back button of the browser, instead of returning to the list of results for the search, it gets all the way back to ProZ homepage and I need to search the term again. Is anyone having the same issue?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing improvements to the ProZ.com term search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »