Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Premium-only forums: can they be moved/unchecked?
Thread poster: Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:17
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 26

Last 12 February I tried to post a new forum topic addressing the 'Member-only forums' ('Premium: AI community forum'; 'Premium: Website community forum'; 'Pastey - ProZ.com's AI Tool for Premium Members') that have been popping up in my forum feed for some time.

As of today, 26 February, so two weeks after my unsuccessful original attempt, my post is still greyed-out and marked as Posting not yet approved.

As a Standard member, I am not entitled to access any th
... See more
Last 12 February I tried to post a new forum topic addressing the 'Member-only forums' ('Premium: AI community forum'; 'Premium: Website community forum'; 'Pastey - ProZ.com's AI Tool for Premium Members') that have been popping up in my forum feed for some time.

As of today, 26 February, so two weeks after my unsuccessful original attempt, my post is still greyed-out and marked as Posting not yet approved.

As a Standard member, I am not entitled to access any threads appearing in the above section, getting just a thread title - which is of no use to me whatsoever - and a warning when trying to do so,

Forum warning

In my original post, I asked the ProZ staff to move this and other Plus/Premium member-only threads elsewhere.
And as someone not interested in the Plus/Premium package or the Pastey tool, I'd like to be able to uncheck any Member-only threads from my Forum dashboard.
Pity that option is not available, the only boxes that can be checked on it being the 'List on homepage' and 'Track forum' ones,

Forum dashboard

Staff?
Collapse

expressisverbis
ibz
Tanja Oresnik
Tom in London
Yvonne Gallagher
Robert Rietvelt
Philip Lees

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Seduction Feb 26

It's kind of obvious that they will not fulfil your request. I suppose it's comparable to news articles behind a paywall. For a lot of people it's just annoying, but some will let them seduce into finally taking a subscription.

Barbara Carrara
writeaway
Angie Garbarino
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yvonne Gallagher
Robert Rietvelt
Joe France

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Not so much seduction ... Feb 26

... but more of a deterrent, at least for me.
Why should I want to pay for even more forums on subjects that are of no interest to me if we don't even get any answers or reactions to threads and suggestions supported by many of us?
Just o
... See more
... but more of a deterrent, at least for me.
Why should I want to pay for even more forums on subjects that are of no interest to me if we don't even get any answers or reactions to threads and suggestions supported by many of us?
Just one of several examples:
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/363811-please_remove_chatgpt_option_from_kudoz.html
Still waiting for action ...
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Yvonne Gallagher
Rachel Waddington
Joe France
Philip Lees

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Forum categories and subcategories are more or less fixed Feb 26

Hello everyone,

The "AI community forum" and the "Website community forum" are forums listed under the "Member-only forums" sub-category in the "Forums about ProZ.com" category, not the forum feed, https://www.proz.com/forum . This means that they cannot be moved, hidden or un-tracked as you would do with a thread (forum categories and sub-categories are more or less fixed). And, yes, full threads
... See more
Hello everyone,

The "AI community forum" and the "Website community forum" are forums listed under the "Member-only forums" sub-category in the "Forums about ProZ.com" category, not the forum feed, https://www.proz.com/forum . This means that they cannot be moved, hidden or un-tracked as you would do with a thread (forum categories and sub-categories are more or less fixed). And, yes, full threads are only available to Premium subscribers.

For the time being, those forums are visible so that anyone can see what is being discussed from thread titles. In the future, the member-only forums sub-category may display other member-only forums available to all paying members too.

Lucia
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lucia Feb 26

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
For the time being, those forums are visible so that anyone can see what is being discussed from thread titles.

Hi, Lucia

Can you please explain how can a thread title be even remotely useful to non-Premium subscribers, if we are not allowed to even read what's being discussed?

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
In the future, the member-only forums sub-category may display other member-only forums available to all paying members too.

I would still be not interested in reading, discussing or subscribing. Hence my request to uncheck those forum threads from my feed.

Thank you.

Edited to remove unwanted 'that'

[Edited at 2024-02-26 14:01 GMT]

Tom in London
ibz
writeaway
Joe France
Christel Zipfel
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Feb 26

Barbara Carrara wrote:

I would still be not interested in reading, discussing or subscribing. Hence my request to uncheck those forum threads from my feed.

Thank you.

Me too. Get rid of them please.

Barbara Carrara
IrinaN
ibz
Rachel Waddington
Joe France
Christel Zipfel

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
marketing Feb 26

Lieven Malaise wrote:

It's kind of obvious that they will not fulfil your request. I suppose it's comparable to news articles behind a paywall. For a lot of people it's just annoying, but some will let them seduce into finally taking a subscription.

I doubt that people subscribe just because of the thread titles. From a marketing point of view, it would be more advisable to have these threads open so that people can check if there is any added value for them.
Afaik, the tools are still in "beta" phase, so the threads may currently work for collecting feedback. (I just wonder why beta products are already being charged for).

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Michele Fauble
writeaway
Christel Zipfel
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My guess Feb 26

My guess is they're not selling.

Barbara Carrara
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
ibz
Philip Lees

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Forum display and categories won't be changed Feb 26

[quote]Barbara Carrara wrote:

Can you please explain how can a thread title be even remotely useful to non-Premium subscribers, if we are not allowed to even read what's being discussed?

[quote]

What is being discussed can be read (I would say thread titles are descriptive enough), what cannot be read by non-Premium is the entire discussion. As for usefulness, I would rather speak about interest. There are plenty of clicks on those forum titles, more than one could expect from Premium members only. So I guess there is interest among other Standard and Plus members too, even non-members.

Barbara Carrara wrote:

No problem. If you are not interested in posts in a given category, just keep an eye on the categories you are interested in and skip the ones you are not, just as you would do with the rest of categories in this forum and others.

If any changes are made to the way forums are displayed in the future, we will let everyone know. Thanks!

Lucia

Tanya Quintieri

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am a member.... Feb 26

..... only not from the right category. So, what makes me that? An "Unter-member"?

I rest my case.

writeaway
Barbara Carrara
ibz
Christel Zipfel
Philip Lees

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Feb 27

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

..... only not from the right category. So, what makes me that? An "Unter-member"?

I rest my case.

A second-class citizen?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Premium-only forums: can they be moved/unchecked?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »