Suggest new feature: show last postings when writing answer
Auteur du fil: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
anglais vers allemand
Mar 18, 2006

When I write a posting in a thread, I have two options: reply with quote, and reply without quote. It's easy when I want to write an answer to a specific posting because I can use the "reply with quote" function in order to actually see what I am replying to. But if I don't use the "reply with quote" function, I don't see what I am replying to (and there might be several postings I want to comment upon), so I usually open another browser window and go to the respective thread to again review the... See more
When I write a posting in a thread, I have two options: reply with quote, and reply without quote. It's easy when I want to write an answer to a specific posting because I can use the "reply with quote" function in order to actually see what I am replying to. But if I don't use the "reply with quote" function, I don't see what I am replying to (and there might be several postings I want to comment upon), so I usually open another browser window and go to the respective thread to again review the postings I want to answer.

That's time-consuming.

How about opening each "reply" window

- either in a new browser window

- or displaying the respective postings of the page to which one replies (above or below the answer window)?

Or maybe there is a feature I have overlooked that does this?
Collapse

lara2005
lara2005
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
Good idea... Mar 18, 2006

..Marion. That´s something that always bothers me too. Like you said, I either have to open another window or else have to write down (in note form) what certain people contributed to my thread which, atleast if I want to react to more than one person without quoting them, is rather impractical..

As for me, I couldn´t find a way to do so either, so that´d really be a good idea for improvement (or shall I say simplification of the process:-))

Lara

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Allemagne
suédois
+ ...
Topic Review Mar 18, 2006

Hi Marion,

When you click on "Reply/Comment" you get the window where you can enter your reply. If you then want to know what others have said before, just click on the "Topic Review" at the bottom and you will get a 2nd window with the complete thread. The original window for your reply is of course still open, but you can still switch between your reply and the thread.

I guess that should be it.

Kind regards
Erik

... See more
Hi Marion,

When you click on "Reply/Comment" you get the window where you can enter your reply. If you then want to know what others have said before, just click on the "Topic Review" at the bottom and you will get a 2nd window with the complete thread. The original window for your reply is of course still open, but you can still switch between your reply and the thread.

Kind regards
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
anglais vers allemand
AUTEUR DU FIL
Ahhhh - thanks, Eric! Mar 18, 2006

That does the trick, Eric. Many thanks!

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italie
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Grazie, Erik! Mar 18, 2006

I had never noticed this option and I had been wondering how others managed to quote and answer more than one person in the same post!
Thanks DZ

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 19:03
Membre (2002)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Great tip! Mar 18, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:

Hi Marion,

Kind regards
Erik

Thanks Erik! I wasn't aware of this function! Now I'm using it!

Regards

Clarisa

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Allemagne
Membre (2002)
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
Super, that's a great help! Mar 18, 2006

I didn't know about this either, and have always tried to memorise verbatim what I am replying to, while at the same time formulating and writing my answer!

Astrid

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Pays-Bas
Membre (2006)
anglais vers afrikaans
+ ...
Simply use a more useful browser Mar 19, 2006

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:
...so I usually open another browser window and go to the respective thread to again review the postings I want to answer. That's time-consuming.

I simply click the link, and if I want to copy from previous posts, I just hit the back-button, and then the forward-button again. Of course, I'm using Opera web browser. Some versions of Internet Explorer will lose whatever you've typed when you go back and forth, and other versions of Internet Explorer don't load the old page from the cache, but reloads it instead, which means that it takes a looooong time to do a backy and forthy.

How about opening each "reply" window
- either in a new browser window

Absolutely not, please. I want to be in control of whether it opens in a new window. In Opera, I just go Shift+Ctrl+click on a link to make it open in a new window.

- or displaying the respective postings of the page to which one replies (above or below the answer window)?

I have seen this on other boards, but it usually means having to scroll a frame within a frame, which can be annoying if you don't maximise your browser window. It also takes longer to load, especially if you're replying to several threads at once (with each of them loading the entire thread twice, all at the same time).

Or maybe there is a feature I have overlooked that does this?

This is just one of those things. If you have time to write a response, you must make time to write it properly. It's just the way it is. The alternatives might make life easier for you, but more difficult for others.

My2c.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggest new feature: show last postings when writing answer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »