Trados, etc, the usefulness of
投稿者: Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:01
スウェーデン語 から 英語
Dec 3, 2005

I have something to confess. Although I have been using Trados for years now I can’t see that it’s such a fantastic tool. I use Workbench and Winalign (sometimes) but don’t have any use for the other components. I’ve still got the Freelance Trados 3 version (!) and use it with Windows Millenium. I may be the last of the sundowners. I’ve never updated because I’ve had suspicions that nothing useful would be added – have I been right? It would be nice to know.
I can see that fo
... See more
I have something to confess. Although I have been using Trados for years now I can’t see that it’s such a fantastic tool. I use Workbench and Winalign (sometimes) but don’t have any use for the other components. I’ve still got the Freelance Trados 3 version (!) and use it with Windows Millenium. I may be the last of the sundowners. I’ve never updated because I’ve had suspicions that nothing useful would be added – have I been right? It would be nice to know.
I can see that for strictly scientific and technical texts, the Workbench must seem like a godsend to many, but for those of us who have to juggle paragraphs in the target language, cut lousy text from the source, etc, but still long to have those source terms with their target equivalents, good old Workbench does not come up to scratch. When I have nothing to say in the target language I enter ’bl’, which autocorrect unfurls into ’blank’. Then when I ”clean up”, I erase all the ’blanks’ in the target text. Am I an ignorant so-and-so and is there really a sophisticated way to use Trados? It would be nice to know.
And now the merger with SDLX. Apparently you can now get both at a reduced price. If they threw in Déja Vu you might be able to get three for the price of two.
Then Microsoft updates and the circus starts again. Am I being cynical or is this the actual state of things? Iwbntk.
Although I don’t have the ’Millenium’ computer connected to the Internet, I can see the day fast approaching when I’ll have to update Trados or invest in something better suited to my needs. Is there a translation tool that my colleagues love because it does everything they wish they could do themselves? Yes.....it would.
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
ドイツ
英語 から ドイツ語
Try the demo Dec 3, 2005

Hi Puicz,

why don't you download a Trados demo version and check it out?

http://www.trados.com/support.asp?page=1038&a=1#results
In the dropdown select "Demo, Tutorials, Webcasts"
Click "Search"
Scroll down do "TRADOS 7 Trial Version"

All the best,
Ricki

Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)  Identity Verified
スウェーデン語 から 英語
TOPIC STARTER
Trados free trial link Dec 3, 2005

Thanks Ricki, I will try it when I have time/it becomes necessary!
Mike

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
デンマーク
2003に入会
デンマーク語 から 英語
+ ...
It does depend a lot on the type of texts you translate... Dec 5, 2005

Sometimes I'm really fond of Trados, but often it's a waste of time for the kinds of texts I work with.

I suspect you're right - that Trados has not evolved dramatically from version to version. I've heard that the big advances are in its ability to deal with different scripts - Hindi was one. This is of course a real advantage for people using them, but for those of us who can only read the 'Latin' alphabet anyway, it is not worth updating very often - the benefits are marginal and
... See more
Sometimes I'm really fond of Trados, but often it's a waste of time for the kinds of texts I work with.

I suspect you're right - that Trados has not evolved dramatically from version to version. I've heard that the big advances are in its ability to deal with different scripts - Hindi was one. This is of course a real advantage for people using them, but for those of us who can only read the 'Latin' alphabet anyway, it is not worth updating very often - the benefits are marginal and don't pay for themselves in terms of increased efficiency.

It's a tool that can be useful, but it's not the philosopher's stone.

Trying out the demo version is probably a good suggestion, but it is a little limited in its scope (as I discovered when my dongle didn't work...) Dongles are a thing of the past if you buy the later versions, but that does not justify investing several hundred Euros either.
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
チェコ共和国
英語 から チェコ語
+ ...
New formats Dec 5, 2005

TagEditor has evolved into a useful tool allowing to translate documents in many formats including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.

But if you need to juggle paragraphs or edit the source text, then Word + Workbench is still the best option and this combination hasn't changed that much, in principle. This kind of editing is not possible in SDLX or DVX (please correct me if I'm wrong about DVX).

Sandy Logan
Sandy Logan
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
What if the client is migrating Dec 12, 2005

Hi,

I'm faced with one of my bigger clients moving to Trados for some customers. I'm in a quandary - I tried Wordfast a year ago and didn't like it, and Trados is quite expensive. Plus of course, I get the impression that the client is moving towards a reduction in rates as they will supply a pre-translation.
Is the price of Trados justified? Does the company give free training?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados, etc, the usefulness of

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »