Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
ProZ.com is acquiring TM-Town
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 23:49
Improvement of the message editor etc. Apr 15, 2016

Last year we had a discussion about the quality of the message editor (smartphone-compatibility, integration of images etc.).

Will the acquisition of TM-Town bring the discussed improvements any closer?

Eva Giner
Eva Giner  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Italian to Spanish
No inglés Apr 15, 2016

Para los traductores como yo que trabajamos con idiomas diferentes del inglés es un problema porque yo, por ejemplo, leo y escribo en italiano y español. No puedo acceder a herramientas nuevas sin entender bien lo que están proponiendo. Lo siento!

Sandra Cifuentes Dowling
Sandra Cifuentes Dowling  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blue Board Apr 15, 2016

Is there any Blue Board or something of the sort with feedback about outsources from previous service providers in TM-Town?

Regards

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 06:49
@Sandra Apr 15, 2016

Hi Sandra,

Is there any Blue Board or something of the sort with feedback about outsources from previous service providers in TM-Town?

Great question!

No, not currently. However, this is one area where I think being part of ProZ.com will be a great benefit. We plan to explore ways that we can make use of the ProZ.com Blue Board on TM-Town to help TM-Town members evaluate potential outsourcers.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Improving "message editor" Apr 15, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Last year we had a discussion about the quality of the message editor (smartphone-compatibility, integration of images etc.).

Will the acquisition of TM-Town bring the discussed improvements any closer?

"message editor" -- I am not sure I remember this discussion. Are you talking about posting to the forums? And being able to read them more easily from mobile devices?

If so, yes, we were discussing exactly this yesterday. Maybe I will open a new thread on that, as we would like feedback.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Happy to give feedback Apr 15, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Maybe I will open a new thread on that, as we would like feedback.

That'd be awesome

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The TM-Town acquisition has just been covered on Slator... Apr 15, 2016

Have a look: https://slator.com/ma-and-funding/ma-wave-reaches-platforms-proz-com-buys-tm-town/

And for anyone here who hasn't discovered it yet, Slator is probably the best source of industry news available at the moment, except
... See more
Have a look: https://slator.com/ma-and-funding/ma-wave-reaches-platforms-proz-com-buys-tm-town/

And for anyone here who hasn't discovered it yet, Slator is probably the best source of industry news available at the moment, except for Jost's Tool Box Journal of course.

Michael
Collapse

Sandra Cifuentes Dowling
Sandra Cifuentes Dowling  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Critical feature Apr 15, 2016

Thanks, Kevin.

I think it is quite imperative for many of us.

Cheers

Sandra

Kevin Dias wrote:

Hi Sandra,

Great question!

No, not currently. However, this is one area where I think being part of ProZ.com will be a great benefit. We plan to explore ways that we can make use of the ProZ.com Blue Board on TM-Town to help TM-Town members evaluate potential outsourcers.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
On behalve of non English speaking colleagues Apr 15, 2016

@Kevin

I encountered several threads of colleagues who don't speak (or not enough) English, and hence don't know how to use "your toy".

Wouldn't it be a good idea to translate TM-Town in more languages (just as Proz), so more people could make use of it? Wouldn't be bad for yourself either.

Just a thought.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 06:49
@Robert Apr 15, 2016

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, localizing the site is on our road map in the near term.

Kevin

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Lo he preguntado a TM-Town Apr 15, 2016

Eva Giner wrote:

Para los traductores como yo que trabajamos con idiomas diferentes del inglés es un problema porque yo, por ejemplo, leo y escribo en italiano y español. No puedo acceder a herramientas nuevas sin entender bien lo que están proponiendo. Lo siento!

Me han dicho que vayan a localizar su Site en el futuro, para que traductores como tu también puedan utilizarlo (vea los commentos arriba/anteriores).

[Edited at 2016-04-15 20:35 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Q&A with Slator Apr 18, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
The TM-Town acquisition has just been covered on Slator...

Thanks, Michael. Here is the full text of the email interview:
- What is the prime motivation behind ProZ.com’s acquisition of TM-Town?

TM-Town has developed a proprietary approach to "matching" -- and by that I mean facilitating connections between those who require translation services and those who offer them -- that is superior to traditional approaches, both in its efficiency and in its ability to identify the best translators for a given type of material. So TM-Town will help ProZ.com's translator members to more readily obtain work in their ideal fields, while helping ProZ.com's translation company users to find translators more quickly and effectively.

- In your news release, you say you will offer joint membership “in the short term.” Will that happen in the next 6 months? 12 months?

That may have been poorly worded. We plan to offer joint membership, which will be made available soon.

- Will this future joint membership come with any changes in TM-Town’s UI? Will the Basic membership plan still be free? If so, will anything change in the (Basic) offer?

The TM-Town membership options will not change as a result of the acquisition.

- Will the TM-Town team help design the ProZ.com UI? Or vice versa? Or are the two teams already working on a single portal design?

We do not have plans to merge the UI's. API-based feature integrations are likely. We will be taking ideas and feedback from our customers into account as we plan such integrations.

- How was the acquisition justified in numbers? Did the TM-Town acquisition give ProZ.com any new revenue stream apart from subscriptions? Any new projects apart from what exists today (two separate websites), say, new tools?

ProZ.com serves translators and translation companies, providing them with tools and opportunities to expand their businesses and work more effectively. In acquiring TM-Town, ProZ.com obtains an additional option to add to its suite of member services. We expect the return on investment to come in the form of a more valuable membership offering, and in turn, an increased number of translator and translation company members.

- What is the new group’s combined headcount?

21 people.

- Will any office close or move location?

No.

- Is ProZ.com still on the lookout for other possible acquisitions? If so, how would you describe the likely candidate?

We would consider acquiring other companies that offer products or services of value to translators and translation companies. Companies that have unique and useful technologies, including those that would benefit from an enhanced ability to reach larger audiences of translation professionals, could be suitable candidates.

- One user feedback on the TM-Town blog said the acquisition may be ProZ.com’s way of eliminating the competition, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But the user goes on to say that, “TM-Town (even with its paid membership) looked like a sensible alternative to PROZ, and now I'm not so sure about that.” Would you like to react to that?

The TM-Town approach is essentially to use natural language processing to match translation providers and translation buyers on the basis of actual texts. The ProZ.com approach relies heavily on review of profiles. Both approaches will continue to be needed, and offered. A blended approach can also be imagined.

- What was the ethos behind the ProZ.com UI? Because another comment on the TM-Town blog said, “am curious to see what effect this will have on Proz.com's ancient website design. Don't get me wrong, I love most of the functionality of the site, the active KudoZ area and the forums, but the design looks like it probably did when the site was first launched back in the 90s.” What was behind the decision to keep the UI that way?

We have always tried to be the "Walmart" of translation job matching, which is to say that it is our goal to deliver tremendous value at a very low cost, without necessarily a lot of fanfare or polish. Using this approach, we have been able to offer over forty custom-developed services to our members while charging no commission whatsoever on jobs passed -- this value proposition is almost unheard of among freelancer websites.

In short, we developed a minimalist interface at the outset, and to the extent that it hasn't "broken" over the years, we have directed our development attention to creating new services.

That said, this approach has its limits, and the criticism about the UI being outdated is valid. We do intend to update certain aspects of the interface to conform more closely with modern expectations.

- What’s your take on the future of the translation industry over the next 2-3 years?

Thanks to the maturing and convergence of translation memory, machine translation and project management technologies, we are well into a productivity boom that notably has not sacrificed quality. While that convergence continues, an additional boost will be obtained when translation buyers start seeing to it that the best possible translators are assigned to every job, given the content particular to each. It is my impression that up to now, buyers have underestimated, or perhaps have not really considered, how much faster and better translators can work when they are assigned to jobs that require little or no research because what they need to know is already in their brains, translation memories, and even their own personally trained MT engines. To put it differently, "the last mile" will be reached in the translation supply chain; translators will no longer be faceless.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What is it? Apr 18, 2016

Simple question:

What does TM Town do that Proz doesn't already do? Proz already brings me lots of direct clients who find me through my profile.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 14:09 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
TM-Town = more modern matching Apr 18, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Simple question:

What does TM Town do that Proz doesn't already do? Proz already brings me lots of direct clients who find me through my profile.

Hi Tom. When it comes to matching, TM-Town is just a more modern and more efficient way (using natural language processing and so on) to do what ProZ.com already does.

In principle, although the TM-Town approach is not necessarily better for all possible matching needs, given a critical mass of participants, it should be much better for some.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not for you Apr 18, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Simple question:

[Edited at 2016-04-18 14:09 GMT]

It's not for you, Tom. You can safely ignore it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com is acquiring TM-Town

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »