Vocabulary LGBT English-Spanish
Iniziatore argomento: Fabio Gutiérrez (X)
Fabio Gutiérrez (X)
Fabio Gutiérrez (X)  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 19:06
Da Tedesco a Spagnolo
+ ...
Aug 13, 2011

Hi All,

I am about to translate a website for travel addressed at LGBT people. Does anyone know any bilingual English (preferably US) - Spanish (preferably ES) glossary or domain-specific vocabulary collection? (at normal, not at vulgar level please)

Thanks in advance!

------

Tengo que traducir un sitio web de viajes dirigido específicamente a gays y lesbianas. Si alguien me puede facilitar la dirección de algún glosario o recopilación bili
... See more
Hi All,

I am about to translate a website for travel addressed at LGBT people. Does anyone know any bilingual English (preferably US) - Spanish (preferably ES) glossary or domain-specific vocabulary collection? (at normal, not at vulgar level please)

Thanks in advance!

------

Tengo que traducir un sitio web de viajes dirigido específicamente a gays y lesbianas. Si alguien me puede facilitar la dirección de algún glosario o recopilación bilingüe inglés (pref. EEUU) - español (pref. España) de vocabulario usual entre personas LGBT (lenguaje común, excluidos tacos/palabrotas), lo agradecé enormemente.

Gracias de antemano.
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Polonia
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Polacco
+ ...
Berlitz series Aug 13, 2011

It's not specifically LGBT, but maybe it could help: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Berlitz-Hide-This-Book/dp/9812464301/ref=sr_1_27?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313253271&sr=1-27. The series could also be available in Spanish (there are Polish versions, for example).

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 13:06
Membro (2004)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Not a glossary per se... Aug 14, 2011

...But look through the websites of some of Spain's LGBT organizations (COGAM, FELGT, Fundación Triángulo, etc.) and LGBT-targeted tourist businesses (like the Axel hotel in BCN, which seems to largely target gay/bi men) to see what terms they use for things. There are also a number of gay phrasebooks, such as the ironic but useful "How to say FABULOUS! in 8 Different Languages: A Travel Phrase Book for Gay Men."

One trend to be aware of is that in Spain, they tend to use the abbr
... See more
...But look through the websites of some of Spain's LGBT organizations (COGAM, FELGT, Fundación Triángulo, etc.) and LGBT-targeted tourist businesses (like the Axel hotel in BCN, which seems to largely target gay/bi men) to see what terms they use for things. There are also a number of gay phrasebooks, such as the ironic but useful "How to say FABULOUS! in 8 Different Languages: A Travel Phrase Book for Gay Men."

One trend to be aware of is that in Spain, they tend to use the abbreviation LGTB more often than LGBT, although both are in widespread use. Also note that "gay" in European Spanish generally refers only to gay men, whereas in English it can also include lesbians. So "gay people" usually = "gays y lesbianas".

If after doing your research you're still stuck on a few LGBT-specific terms from the U.S. or Spain, feel free to drop me an e-mail and I'll try to answer a few questions.

[Edited at 2011-08-14 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Grecia
Local time: 20:06
Da Greco a Inglese
In memoriam
I can... Aug 14, 2011

...almost certainly get you gay US and gay ES contacts via my Facebook friends, some of whom are bilingual EN/ES (I think). Contact me via my profile if that would be useful.

Fabio Gutiérrez (X)
Fabio Gutiérrez (X)  Identity Verified
Spagna
Da Tedesco a Spagnolo
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Many thanks! Aug 15, 2011

Thanks a million to Adam, Steven and Dave for your kind replies, and for the book references. Also, having a look into the Axel hotel's website was indeed a useful tip.

I'll bear in mind your offer of further help. Fortunately, I've got close gay and lesbian friends who can lend me a hand to fine-tune this or that expression. Should their wisdom not suffice, I'll certainly contact you for further assistance!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vocabulary LGBT English-Spanish

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »