Maya Diaz
영국
Local time: 23:31
회원(Jun 2024)
영어에서 스페인어
+ ...
Jun 21

Hello community,

I've been requested to interpret a travel memoir from US English into Latam Spanish.

The book is still being written but the author estimates an approximate of 180 pages (Arial 12, 1.5 space between lines)

What kind of fee are people charging for this kind of work?

The style is colloquial, personal, intimate. The tone is light-hearted and humorous. I would rate the level of difficulty as moderate (the text in itself is easy to
... See more
Hello community,

I've been requested to interpret a travel memoir from US English into Latam Spanish.

The book is still being written but the author estimates an approximate of 180 pages (Arial 12, 1.5 space between lines)

What kind of fee are people charging for this kind of work?

The style is colloquial, personal, intimate. The tone is light-hearted and humorous. I would rate the level of difficulty as moderate (the text in itself is easy to read, but there's some difficulty in translating humour, idioms and colloquialisms)

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!
Maya

[Edited at 2024-06-21 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
미국
Local time: 18:31
독일어에서 영어
Don't accept royalties Jun 21

I assume you meant "translate" rather than interpret.
When I had a web site, I often received inquiries regarding translation of family journals, "fascinating life stories" and similar personal documents which, as the authors claimed, would "appeal to a wide audience". When I quoted a per-word rate, the response – if any – was usually an offer of royalties which would "make us a lot of money". I don't know what the rate is for your language combination, but I would suggest you offer a
... See more
I assume you meant "translate" rather than interpret.
When I had a web site, I often received inquiries regarding translation of family journals, "fascinating life stories" and similar personal documents which, as the authors claimed, would "appeal to a wide audience". When I quoted a per-word rate, the response – if any – was usually an offer of royalties which would "make us a lot of money". I don't know what the rate is for your language combination, but I would suggest you offer a rate similar to what you charge other clients. Anticipating royalties on a potentially low-volume publication is a fool's game (yes, you run the risk of missing the next Diana Gabaldon who has provided a number of translators with a good income).
Also I might add that humor generally doesn't translate well. Metaphors and similes which might be hilarious in one language might seem trite or even incomprehensible in another. Unless you're gifted, you might try for a light, lively style rather than try to reproduce humor.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Elena Aclasto

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
영국
Local time: 23:31
네덜란드어에서 영어
+ ...
Don't get your hopes up Jun 21

They are probably expecting you to work for almost nothing.

Quote them your normal rate and watch them disappear.

Matthias Brombach
Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Paul Adie
Elena Aclasto
philgoddard
Jorge Payan

Abdullahi Mohamed
Abdullahi Mohamed  Identity Verified
케냐
Local time: 01:31
회원(Mar 2024)
영어에서 소말리어
+ ...
Don't accept downgrades. Jun 22

Translating your travel memoir sounds like a fun project, Maya! It will be exciting to bring its humor to life in Latin American Spanish.

Translation costs can vary, usually between $0.08 and $0.15 per word for a project of about 54,000 words. It might be cheaper to agree on a total project rate. The important thing is to find someone who is good at translating humor and everyday language in Latin American Spanish. You can ask to see samples of their work in a similar style.
<
... See more
Translating your travel memoir sounds like a fun project, Maya! It will be exciting to bring its humor to life in Latin American Spanish.

Translation costs can vary, usually between $0.08 and $0.15 per word for a project of about 54,000 words. It might be cheaper to agree on a total project rate. The important thing is to find someone who is good at translating humor and everyday language in Latin American Spanish. You can ask to see samples of their work in a similar style.

To find the right translator, check out ProZ.com or the American Translators Association directory. Don’t just choose the cheapest option – a skilled translator can make your memoir really shine in its new language. Good luck!
Collapse

Maya Diaz

philgoddard
philgoddard
미국
독일어에서 영어
+ ...
Not always Jun 29

Rachel Waddington wrote:

They are probably expecting you to work for almost nothing.

Quote them your normal rate and watch them disappear.

I agree that most authors are horrified when they find out how much a translation will cost. But I've done two personal memoirs for different people.

One complained that the translation was no good (that's because the book wasn't either), and the other was so pleased he took me out to lunch.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Current fees for travel memoirs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »