MvsBi
MvsBi
Poland
Local time: 12:34
Polish to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 26, 2010

Hi.
I'm a freelance translator. I use wordfast and SDL Lite to my work. I would like to use Trados, however I haven't yet been able to afford it.
I've heard that there are some CAT Tools that can open Trados' files. I have a .mdb file which I cannot open, because I don't have the appropriate program to do so. Can someone help me here? Is there any program I can download from the Internet that would open this file? This is a bit urgent for me...
Thank you so much!!

... See more
Hi.
I'm a freelance translator. I use wordfast and SDL Lite to my work. I would like to use Trados, however I haven't yet been able to afford it.
I've heard that there are some CAT Tools that can open Trados' files. I have a .mdb file which I cannot open, because I don't have the appropriate program to do so. Can someone help me here? Is there any program I can download from the Internet that would open this file? This is a bit urgent for me...
Thank you so much!!

mb
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Which tools can open .mdb files Jan 26, 2010

MvsBi wrote:

Hi.
Thank you so much!!

mb

a) Make a backup of your mdb-file in a sure place.
b) Try to open the mdb-file with MS-Access.

I am not sure this will work, but .mdb is the standard file extension for MS-Access databases.

[Editado a las 2010-01-26 13:04 GMT]

Oleg Karnaushenko
Oleg Karnaushenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:34
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Try to export every table in MS Excel format Jan 26, 2010

Hello!

You should open it in MS Access and export every table as XLS.
Then you'll be able to open it in Trados or some other CAT tool.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:34
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You should be able to import it into Multiterm Jan 26, 2010

BR
S

Alina - Maria Chiteala
Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:34
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
data base Jan 26, 2010

It is a data base and it can be opened with: Ms Access
or Trados MultiTerm I think it is called. I usually open it with Workbench so I can see the terms when I came upon then. If you use SDL LITE you will only be able to open it with MS Access

[Editat la 2010-01-26 15:12 GMT]

jaymin
jaymin
Canada
Local time: 06:34
German to Korean
+ ...
mdb with itd in SDL edit.... Jan 26, 2010

I assume you are working with SDL lite. In SDL edit, you open itd file and then, go to Translation Memory menu to open mdb memory file.

hope it helps.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
who opens this file? Jan 26, 2010

yes, .mdb is a Multiterm file and a MS Access too

anyway, this link can be very useful for other odd format files
http://filext.com

N.B currently this site hosts advertising for tools able to fix problems with your format file
I think it's better don't follow them!

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-01-26 18:33 GMT]

MvsBi
MvsBi
Poland
Polish to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jan 26, 2010

Thank you all very much for your help! Yes, I'm working with SDL Edit and it opened there this TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which tools can open .mdb files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »