Can Trados and Across be installed on the same computer?
Thread poster: Emma Lyle
Emma Lyle
Emma Lyle
Local time: 14:24
French to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2012

Hello,

I've read a few threads relating to the installation of Trados and Wordfast on the same computer, but I don't know whether those answers apply to Across as well. My employer uses both Trados and Across and I would like to install them on one laptop if possible. I've been told that this could be problematic as the two CAT tools aren't designed to support one another. If this is the case, would it be possible to get around any problems by either running one of them in a virtual
... See more
Hello,

I've read a few threads relating to the installation of Trados and Wordfast on the same computer, but I don't know whether those answers apply to Across as well. My employer uses both Trados and Across and I would like to install them on one laptop if possible. I've been told that this could be problematic as the two CAT tools aren't designed to support one another. If this is the case, would it be possible to get around any problems by either running one of them in a virtual machine or by dual-booting?

Thanks,
Emma
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Finnish to French
A virtual machine is a good solution Jul 21, 2012

Emma Lyle wrote:
I've read a few threads relating to the installation of Trados and Wordfast on the same computer, but I don't know whether those answers apply to Across as well. My employer uses both Trados and Across and I would like to install them on one laptop if possible. I've been told that this could be problematic as the two CAT tools aren't designed to support one another. If this is the case, would it be possible to get around any problems by either running one of them in a virtual machine or by dual-booting?

Across is a very heavy install, with stuff like Microsoft SQL that takes more than 100 MB of disk space. Although I was able to install and uninstall it without obvious adverse effects, I've seen several reports of irremediable incompatibilities with other software and of Across slowing down computers. If you have access to a virtual machine, it's probably the easiest and safest way to insulate it from the rest of your system.

Sergei Dorokhov
Sergei Dorokhov  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Member (2012)
English to Russian
It depends on OS and software environment, IMHO Jul 22, 2012

Trados Studio 2009 and Across v.5.00 SP1 works well on my desktop without any problems. I use Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
they can be installed together like any other application Jul 22, 2012

(and, as mentioned, Across takes up quite a few resurces because of its SQL databases)

[Módosítva: 2012-07-22 11:11 GMT]

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
The same for me Jul 22, 2012

Sergey Dorokhov wrote:

Trados Studio 2009 and Across v.5.00 SP1 works well on my desktop without any problems. I use Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1.

Studio 2011 and Across 5.0. In the past, earlier versions without any problems as well.

A.

Emma Lyle
Emma Lyle
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess I should have no problems! Jul 27, 2012

I'll also be using Trados Studio 2009 and Across v.5.00 SP1.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados and Across be installed on the same computer?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »