Diego Raigorodsky
Diego Raigorodsky  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:05
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 17, 2012

Hello everybody!

I am a Hebrew translator that works a lot with religious texts. This means that is quite common for authors to refer to Bible verses in their books. And when I need to quote a verse, I always use the King James version of the Bible.

At the moment, every time a verse is mentioned, I have to go to the digital Bible I have and copy/paste the verse in question.

Then my question is: Is there a good way of having this verses available for me when
... See more
Hello everybody!

I am a Hebrew translator that works a lot with religious texts. This means that is quite common for authors to refer to Bible verses in their books. And when I need to quote a verse, I always use the King James version of the Bible.

At the moment, every time a verse is mentioned, I have to go to the digital Bible I have and copy/paste the verse in question.

Then my question is: Is there a good way of having this verses available for me when I need them in the translation? Which part of CAT tools I could use for that? Alignment? Term Management? Or is there another way to do this?

Thank you!
Best Regards
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
IntelliWebSearch Oct 17, 2012

Hi mossadrai,

You could use IntelliWebSearch to access your local dictionary program from inside your CAT tool. That way, whenever you want to look up a phrase, you just select it and hit a shortcut. IWS will then automatically open your dictionary program and enter whatever you selected into its search box.

It also depends on which CAT tool you are using. You could try and find a text copy of the KJ Bible and import it into your CAT tool. In memoQ, for example, you cou
... See more
Hi mossadrai,

You could use IntelliWebSearch to access your local dictionary program from inside your CAT tool. That way, whenever you want to look up a phrase, you just select it and hit a shortcut. IWS will then automatically open your dictionary program and enter whatever you selected into its search box.

It also depends on which CAT tool you are using. You could try and find a text copy of the KJ Bible and import it into your CAT tool. In memoQ, for example, you could import it as a monolingual English corpus, in LiveDocs.

Michael

IntelliWebSearch: http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/index.asp
LiveDocs: http://kilgray.com/memoq/60/help-en/index.html?translation_grid.html
Collapse

Cris_Pa
Cris_Pa  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
alignment Oct 17, 2012

Yes, you could align the original and the translated version of the Bible; then, you create a translation memory which you can use for your projects. I guess it would be a lot of work to align the whole Bible.

Regards

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you try machine translation Oct 17, 2012

I guess someone has already aligned the bible and it is available in MT. If your tool supports MT you could try it out.

Diego Raigorodsky
Brazil
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas Oct 17, 2012

Indeed, a lot of work to align the whole Bible.

And I liked very much the tip given by Mr. Beijer. Do you know is this software works along Trados?

When you mention importing the Bible, do you know how this would be done in Trados?

One last question, this would help me to search words inside the verse. But what if the author says, for example, Deuteronomy 32:7? Is there a way to get this text instantly?

Thanks guys, you are great!

[Edita
... See more
Indeed, a lot of work to align the whole Bible.

And I liked very much the tip given by Mr. Beijer. Do you know is this software works along Trados?

When you mention importing the Bible, do you know how this would be done in Trados?

One last question, this would help me to search words inside the verse. But what if the author says, for example, Deuteronomy 32:7? Is there a way to get this text instantly?

Thanks guys, you are great!

[Editada em 2012-10-17 14:30 GMT]

[Editada em 2012-10-17 14:34 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
questions & answers Oct 17, 2012

Hi mossadrai,

Yes, IntelliWebSearch works independently of any CAT tool. You can in fact use it to search for words (in both local dictionary programs + online search sites) from any program on your computer.

What version of Trados do you have? I would need to know that before being able to help you with importing the Bible. Also, are we talking about a bilingual version of the Bible, or just the English (KJ) version?

Another question: are you using a (sear
... See more
Hi mossadrai,

Yes, IntelliWebSearch works independently of any CAT tool. You can in fact use it to search for words (in both local dictionary programs + online search sites) from any program on your computer.

What version of Trados do you have? I would need to know that before being able to help you with importing the Bible. Also, are we talking about a bilingual version of the Bible, or just the English (KJ) version?

Another question: are you using a (searchable) software version of the KJ Bible on your computer?

Michael

[Edited at 2012-10-17 14:46 GMT]
Collapse

Diego Raigorodsky
Brazil
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Intelliweb Oct 17, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi mossadrai,

Another question: are you using a (searchable) software version of the KJ Bible on your computer?

Michael

[Edited at 2012-10-17 14:46 GMT]

Hello, Michael!

Meanwhile, I was checking IntelliWeb and it is very helpful, but I don't know if this is what I need.

I'm using SDL Trados 2011.

And regarding the Bible, I think I need both things... One if only the English Version, as in some kind of "glossary" in which the mention of a certain passage shows me the related verse. For example, the text says Genesis 2:7 and the glossary shows me the verse... And I also need that when the authors mentions the Hebrew verse, the software can show me the English translation in the KJ version.

Is there a way to do both these things?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Perhaps CafeTran can help? Oct 17, 2012

Hi,

CafeTran can integrate nearly every search engine/internet resource. Perhaps CafeTran can help you?

Gives you:

Cheerio,

Hans

Diego Raigorodsky
Brazil
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like it! Oct 17, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Hi,

CafeTran can integrate nearly every search engine/internet resource. Perhaps CafeTran can help you?

Cheerio,

Hans

Wow, this looks like great! How did you set up to look for the King James? And does it work with Trados or is it a stand-alone software?

[Editada em 2012-10-17 16:19 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Stand-alone software Oct 17, 2012

mossadrai wrote:

Wow, this looks like great! How did you set up to look for the King James? And does it work with Trados or is it a stand-alone software?

[Editada em 2012-10-17 16:19 GMT]

Setting up is very easy, I just created a web resource file (in less than 1 minute). You can also make a second resource file to search numerically, e.g. 'Genesis-2-4', or one resource for each book, so that you only have to enter the numbers .

CafeTran is a Java tool that can process Transit and SDL Studio files. It runs on Linux, Windows and OS X (Mac).

While you're in the target language box (above the Start button), you can drag over the results in the tabbed pane (below the start button) to quickly insert (parts of) the text into your translation.

CafeTran also has a paper-workflow that might come in handy for you as a bible translator:

http://www.cafetran.com/handbook.html#part10

It is also quite easy to integrate 'real' dictionaries, e.g. on a Mac:

http://cafetran.wordpress.com/?s=van%20dale

Watch the movie.

Hans

Diego Raigorodsky
Brazil
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans! Oct 17, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

CafeTran is a Java tool that can process Transit and SDL Studio files. It runs on Linux, Windows and OS X (Mac).

CafeTran also has a paper-workflow that might come in handy for you as a bible translator:

http://www.cafetran.com/handbook.html#part10

It is also quite easy to integrate 'real' dictionaries, e.g. on a Mac:

http://cafetran.wordpress.com/?s=van%20dale

Watch the movie.

Hans

Thanks, Hans! I willl surely investigate it further... Actually, each time I find an issue with Trados I see there are other CAT tools that do not show these problems... Everything tends to lead me to other tools, but sometimes I find so difficult to say goodbye to a known software!

THANKS

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which part of CAT Tools should I use?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »