Google Deskbar: a must for translators
Thread poster: Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2004

Google Deskbar, especially its "Define: operator" seems to be a good candidate to become the #1 searching tool among the freelance translators.
It is a tiny toolbar utility with full "google search" capabilities plus more.

It has certain advantages that makes it more convenient than the standard browser.
Firstly, you do not have to open a browser to search the web. You just type your search criteria in a tiny window on the status bar.

Secondly, it has a robu
... See more
Google Deskbar, especially its "Define: operator" seems to be a good candidate to become the #1 searching tool among the freelance translators.
It is a tiny toolbar utility with full "google search" capabilities plus more.

It has certain advantages that makes it more convenient than the standard browser.
Firstly, you do not have to open a browser to search the web. You just type your search criteria in a tiny window on the status bar.

Secondly, it has a robust filtering capability that makes it an indispensable tool for translators while searching glossary entries, etc.
just type the term you search for. It instantly pops up with the definitions for it. (the "definitions" option should be checked).

Thirdly, you can access it from any application simply with a key combination.

you can download it from its official page here: http://toolbar.google.com/deskbar/index.html

[Edited at 2004-07-18 09:43]
Collapse

Ozethai
Ozethai  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:21
Thai to English
+ ...
Good for you Selcuk for introducing it to us. Jul 18, 2004

I always wondered how I could get one like that!

Selçuk Budak
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, perfectly Jul 18, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I tried a lot of times but it does not recognize "some" Non-English characters sometimes.Therefore I do not use it,rather I prefer direct google page.
Can you write Turkish "ý" ?

You may search in any language, provided that your operating system supports the corresponding code page.
Just rechecked with "karındeşen" (two problematic characters, "ı and "ş." A, another is "Ğ or ğ"
I get exact hits.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you very much Jul 18, 2004

I tried the Google Toolbar some time ago and soon got rid of it. It just took up some of the screen and did no more than a link to Google would do anyway.
But this deskbar is quite different and much more useful, in my case particularly when I am working in Word.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:21
German to Spanish
I see this in the link: Jul 18, 2004

System Requirements: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP and "Internet Explorer 5.5" or higher.

So, I use Opera 7.52 (and I will never change backt to IE) can I install it however?

Thks

Toledo

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not tied to IE Jul 18, 2004

I installed it, I use Mozilla, and it works fine.

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
How on earth... Jul 18, 2004

Did we manage without this?!

Thanks for pointing it out,

Joanne

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Great tool, indeed Jul 18, 2004

And I do not use any other pop-up blocker now. Just don't forget to keep the Ctrl button held down when you need to open a desired pop-up window (like I do whenever I need to use my Merriam-Webster toolbar).

Selçuk Budak
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A usage reminder Jul 18, 2004

Xola wrote:

...Ctrl button held down when you need to open a desired pop-up window...

Ctrl + Alt + G combination pastes the current selection, or clipboard content to the deskbar window and activates it. So there is no need for going through all the "copy/paste" drudgery.
A simple Ctrl+Alt+G then Enter pops up with the content you search for.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Toolbar vs. Deskbar Jul 18, 2004

Just a note: I think some of you are talking about Google Deskbar and some about Google Toolbar. These are two different tools.

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Does Google Deskbar have a pop-up blocker? Jul 18, 2004

Xola wrote:

And I do not use any other pop-up blocker now..

Are you referring to Google Deskbar or Google Toolbar?

LindaMcM
LindaMcM  Identity Verified
Swedish to German
+ ...
The DESKbar is great! Jul 18, 2004

A great tip - thank you!
I just installed it (the deskbar, not the toolbar) and it works pretty well!

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Both Jul 18, 2004

I used to only use the toolbar, but now I installed the deskbar as well. Then I can take advantage of both tools

One advantage is that I can decide which language to search in from the toolbar, and this affects also the deskbar.

[Edited at 2004-07-18 21:13]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sorry for the confusion Jul 18, 2004

I was referring to the toolbar and in fact I didn't know that there were two different tools. It seems what the deskbar has and the toolbar hasn't is the ability to search without opening the browser (hence, no need to have the pop-up block function... or from another viewpoint, as we may all need a pop-up blocker anyway, while using Google or when at another page, it seems better to have that function). But is it really meaningful to have... See more
I was referring to the toolbar and in fact I didn't know that there were two different tools. It seems what the deskbar has and the toolbar hasn't is the ability to search without opening the browser (hence, no need to have the pop-up block function... or from another viewpoint, as we may all need a pop-up blocker anyway, while using Google or when at another page, it seems better to have that function). But is it really meaningful to have both the toolbar and the deskbar installed? Ok, I will try to see for myself tomorrow

To Tayfun: I can search with Turkish characters in the toolbar, but in the Google Preferences I've checked English and Turkish, so it first makes the search in those pages only, and lists the pages in other languages only after them (or if I change the Preferences). Hope this helps.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You can choose language from Deskbar too Jul 19, 2004

When the search results come up, click on the "Advanced" link at top right, and you are given an option of which language you want to search in.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Deskbar: a must for translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »