Poll: Have you ever translated the wrong file?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 22, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever translated the wrong file?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, never! Oct 22, 2016

Once the client sent me the wrong file, but fortunately I was quick enough to realize what was happening: I had translated that same file one week earlier, one swift email and the imbroglio was resolved...

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 21:12
Japanese to English
Not yet but you never know Oct 22, 2016

I haven't translated the wrong file before, but I have sent the wrong file. To the right person, luckily, but it was a multi-part job and I sent a partly-translated Part C instead of Part A, causing much confusion. Nowadays I actually open the file I'm about to send to make sure it's the right one before I hit the Send button.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just like “Have you ever cut your pinky finger while preparing dinner?” Oct 22, 2016

I sense biological age regression in the author of this poll question.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:12
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No, never Oct 22, 2016

In 30+ years of translation

I always translate what the customer asks me to - what else am I supposed to do? (obvious rhetorical question)
Now, if they send me the wrong file, then that's the client's problem not mine.

Seham Ebied
Seham Ebied  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 00:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, once! Oct 22, 2016

I was about to deliver the project when I realized that I translated a mock-up instead of the original file.
There was still some time, and I had to translate the correct file. Fortunately, SDL Trados helped me a lot.
It is an annoying memory

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:12
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No, never. Oct 22, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

I always translate what the customer asks me to - what else am I supposed to do? (obvious rhetorical question)

Same here.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:12
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few times, a few different types of mistake Oct 22, 2016

1. Translating the wrong file or one wrong file in a batch (one that was not supposed to be included);
2. Translating an entire file, when I was supposed to translate only part of it;
3. Translating to the wrong target-language, because part of the document was already translated, and I didn't notice;
4. Translating a file before it was actually authorized by the client, and the authorization never came;

All these have happened to me, and I might be able to think o
... See more
1. Translating the wrong file or one wrong file in a batch (one that was not supposed to be included);
2. Translating an entire file, when I was supposed to translate only part of it;
3. Translating to the wrong target-language, because part of the document was already translated, and I didn't notice;
4. Translating a file before it was actually authorized by the client, and the authorization never came;

All these have happened to me, and I might be able to think of a few more... but I won't.

[Edited at 2016-10-22 17:35 GMT]
Collapse

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Other Oct 23, 2016

I have translated the wrong part of the right file. once or twice.

Judith Shiozawa (X)
Judith Shiozawa (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I have never translated the wrong file,... Oct 23, 2016

I have never translated the wrong file, but a client once gave me the wrong version of a file to update. I noticed this error, told the client, and was then paid extra to make the appropriate corrections.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Oct 23, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

.... but I am not qute that old yet☺

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever translated the wrong file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »