Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you were offered a well-paid position in-house, would you drop freelancing?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Joohee Kim
Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 17:41
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
done that Jan 11, 2018

Well, I've done that. After finishing the in-house project, I thought 'Wow I SHOULD NOT have dropped freelancing.'

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:41
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 12, 2018

I worked in-house for 20 years, 15 of which very well paid for local standards. I make twice as much as a freelancer as my best salary in-house. So, in order to go through all the suffering of an in-house job, it would have to pay me NET more than I earn as a freelancer, and that does not exsist in my areas of expertise and in my country.
Now, if the offer is to work in Europe or North-America, I would surely consider it.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:41
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
absolutely not Jan 18, 2018

Not because I'm against in-house work as such, but because it just doesn't mesh with my lifestyle choices.

I live for the great outdoors, and getting "out there" on the weekends will never cut it for me. I need to live in those remote and underpopulated places. There is no such thing as an in-house job in those locations, nevermind an in-house job tailored to my preferred fields.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you were offered a well-paid position in-house, would you drop freelancing?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »