ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
السويد
Local time: 00:34
أنجليزي إلى سويدي
+ ...
Yes Feb 18, 2008

I get almost all my jobs through email, and I used to feel stressed every time I left the house during the day on a weekday. Not since I got my blackberry.

Today, after having worked most of the weekend, I finished my four jobs by midday. Since I didn't need to start my next job until tomorrow, I left London and went to see a friend in the country. We spent the afternoon having lunch in the sunshine on the terrace and then going for a long walk.

And once in a while I'd
... See more
I get almost all my jobs through email, and I used to feel stressed every time I left the house during the day on a weekday. Not since I got my blackberry.

Today, after having worked most of the weekend, I finished my four jobs by midday. Since I didn't need to start my next job until tomorrow, I left London and went to see a friend in the country. We spent the afternoon having lunch in the sunshine on the terrace and then going for a long walk.

And once in a while I'd just check if I had received anything urgent. Beats sitting inside waiting...

What a great day!!
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
كندا
Local time: 18:34
عضو (2004)
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
Funny thing Feb 19, 2008

is I work for a wireless company.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
كندا
Local time: 18:34
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
+ ...
I am seriously planning on NOT getting one - ever! Feb 19, 2008

I get all these features on my computer already - and when I am done working, I don't want to be anywhere near anything that rings, keeps track of time, sends messages and most importantly, that my clients can use to contact me when I don't want to be contacted.

The main argument I've heard for having a Blackberry is that you can take it with you. However, I don't find it logical to have access to work-related things when you are not home (that is, not working, that is, off for the
... See more
I get all these features on my computer already - and when I am done working, I don't want to be anywhere near anything that rings, keeps track of time, sends messages and most importantly, that my clients can use to contact me when I don't want to be contacted.

The main argument I've heard for having a Blackberry is that you can take it with you. However, I don't find it logical to have access to work-related things when you are not home (that is, not working, that is, off for the day). And I think having access to the internet anywhere you go is anything but sane...

Can somebody explain to me why it is so important to be reached by your clients when you are not working?

To me, a Blackberry is an electronic leash. And many of the posts in this thread attest to that. I can finally break away from my computer - yeah, right! You don't break away at all, you just bring a smaller one with you everywhere you go.

[Edited at 2008-02-19 04:23]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
بيرو
Local time: 17:34
عضو
إسباني
+ ...
Jenni said it right Feb 19, 2008

Viktoria,

I think most people are missing the point. The purpose of having a Smartphone is not being available 24/7, the purpose is actually being able to break away from the office and have more flexibility and freedom.

Imagine it's only 11 am but you happen to be done for the day. You might have some other jobs pending but the deadlines are not tight. So instead of staying in waiting for a new project, you can take a very early break and go shopping while the stores a
... See more
Viktoria,

I think most people are missing the point. The purpose of having a Smartphone is not being available 24/7, the purpose is actually being able to break away from the office and have more flexibility and freedom.

Imagine it's only 11 am but you happen to be done for the day. You might have some other jobs pending but the deadlines are not tight. So instead of staying in waiting for a new project, you can take a very early break and go shopping while the stores are not packed with people, or you need to run some errands, meet a friend for a coffee, or just have a long lunch. With a Blackberry/Smartphone, you can get away from the computer during 'office hours' without feeling like you might be missing an important job.

If a client contacts you for a job, you can get all the information without having to use a computer. You can even check attachments, make estimates, and decide whether you should go back right away, or not. Since we don't really have office hours, I find my Smartphone really liberating, particularly during the holidays.
Collapse

Bogdan Burghelea
Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
رومانيا
Local time: 01:34
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Blackberry vs. iPhone Feb 19, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:
Are there features a Blackberry has that iphone doesn't?
Amy

Yeah! A REAL keyboard.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
الاتحاد الروسي
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
Don't really need one Feb 19, 2008

I don't think a smartphone (PDA, palm-pilot, whatever you call this gadget) is something professionally important for a translator. Translator needs: 1) Brain; 2) A good Web-enabled PC 3) Well-paying clients.

If you travel a lot, you may need a Notebook computer. As regards these gadgets, I think these are toys for kids.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 23:34
عضو (2005)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
More freedom, not less Feb 19, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:
If a client contacts you for a job, you can get all the information without having to use a computer. You can even check attachments, make estimates, and decide whether you should go back right away, or not. Since we don't really have office hours, I find my Smartphone really liberating, particularly during the holidays.

This is exactly how I feel. If I go out during "normal" office hours, it is no skin off my nose to read an email and reply with something like "I'm out at the moment, I'll take a look when I get back" or "Sorry, I'm not available this week", or "No problem, I'll do that tomorrow". I'd far rather send a quick email like that and feel that I *don't* need to rush back, so I can enjoy my shopping/walk/gym/whatever.

I am not checking my email frantically while I'm out, but a quick glance while I'm on the bus or waiting for my coffee does not make me feel like I'm tied to my desk. On the contrary, it makes me feel in control and quite relaxed.

If I get emails in the evenings or at the weekend, I tend to leave them until the morning/Monday anyway, but it's nice to know what's lurking in my inbox before I press the "Send/Receive" button.....

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
البرتغال
هولندي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Precisely Feb 19, 2008

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

If I go out during "normal" office hours, it is no skin off my nose to read an email and reply with something like "I'm out at the moment, I'll take a look when I get back" or "Sorry, I'm not available this week", or "No problem, I'll do that tomorrow".

Blackberries and similar devices give you the opportunity to actually break away from the desk and do other things.

I'm a freelancer, I happen to like working times others may find unsociable and having 8 hours done of work done by lunch time. Means I can trot off down to the beach before the summer crowds arrive, take my girls shopping after school, walk in the hills where I live, or just meet up with a friend in town for coffee. Not every day, but when I feel like it.

And I'd much rather check my emails than get interrupted by calls on my mobile.

The lawyers and agencies I work with don't care where I'm replying from, but they need a reply. If I'm going to "skive off" during normal office hours, the least I can do is respect their need for answers.

I count myself lucky to have a PDA, and be able to do things when I want to. I don't regard myself as being a slave of technology. It's a case of making the technology work for ME.

Obviously when I'm on holiday, clients are advised well in advance and then I'm offline.

[Edited at 2008-02-19 10:44]

JulietteC
JulietteC
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
Why not... Feb 19, 2008

All your answers made me feel like buying one, especially as it's almost spring time here !

When the weather is nice, I would much prefer being outside during office hours when I'm done with my work without worrying about missing an good offer or an important email than sitting in front of my computer...

For people in France : what is the minimum monthly cost of a Blackberry for an unlimited use of the Internet? (I don't really care about the phone functions). I went t
... See more
All your answers made me feel like buying one, especially as it's almost spring time here !

When the weather is nice, I would much prefer being outside during office hours when I'm done with my work without worrying about missing an good offer or an important email than sitting in front of my computer...

For people in France : what is the minimum monthly cost of a Blackberry for an unlimited use of the Internet? (I don't really care about the phone functions). I went to some websites but it's not very clear to me...
Collapse

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Same for me Feb 19, 2008

It lets me get away from my computer without missing anything - the point of being freelance for me, is to be able to do things when they suit me, and this way I don't have to be sitting home just to wait for one email or just in case. I imagine it does depend on your clients, and the type of workload you have, I have some who never have urgent jobs, and will just wait until I'm home, but most won't. Also, I only use it in office hours or if I'm particularly expecting an important email - I ha... See more
It lets me get away from my computer without missing anything - the point of being freelance for me, is to be able to do things when they suit me, and this way I don't have to be sitting home just to wait for one email or just in case. I imagine it does depend on your clients, and the type of workload you have, I have some who never have urgent jobs, and will just wait until I'm home, but most won't. Also, I only use it in office hours or if I'm particularly expecting an important email - I have another phone for personal use for going out at weekends etc. when I don't want to be bothered by work emails (not that I get many then).Collapse

CeciliaMontano
CeciliaMontano  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:34
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
Techno-girl :-) Feb 19, 2008

I just LOVE all new electronic gadgets. Mobile phones with camera, video, radio and MP3 player and web access are compulsory in my life. I also have a Palm Tungsten E2 PDA with a SD wi-fi card, a notebook (of course it also has wireless card), a desktop PC, let alone MP3/Mp4 player, portable DVD player. Believe it or not, I still have a discman and a walkman. It's just a matter f time for me to get a Blackberry. My only problem is that I would need some more time to enjoy all of my gadgets... See more
I just LOVE all new electronic gadgets. Mobile phones with camera, video, radio and MP3 player and web access are compulsory in my life. I also have a Palm Tungsten E2 PDA with a SD wi-fi card, a notebook (of course it also has wireless card), a desktop PC, let alone MP3/Mp4 player, portable DVD player. Believe it or not, I still have a discman and a walkman. It's just a matter f time for me to get a Blackberry. My only problem is that I would need some more time to enjoy all of my gadgetsCollapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
You almost convinced me there guys... Feb 19, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

So instead of staying in waiting for a new project, you can take a very early break and go shopping while the stores are not packed with people, or you need to run some errands, meet a friend for a coffee, or just have a long lunch.

I guess in a weird roundabout way, it does give you more freedom, as it can help you decide to take a full day off rather than half a day, since you haven't been sent a new job you would have expected.

HOWEVER...
speaking as a computer addict who drops the cooking and trips over the kids everytime she hears the "ping" of an incoming email, I find it very therapeutical to tear myself away from all that, even for the weekly shopping, or to have a quiet coffee in town. Yes, jobs will get lost, sometimes (most of the time clients KNOW a reply can come 2-3 hours later - they don't instantly start looking for another translator). But that's life. That's sanity.

Claudia, out of all people, you posted this recently http://www.proz.com/topic/97132 - a real eye-opener on what "electronic leashes" (to borrow Victoria's perfect expression), we're putting ourselves on.

[Edited at 2008-02-19 14:08]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
بيرو
Local time: 17:34
عضو
إسباني
+ ...
Gadgets Feb 19, 2008

Claudia, out of all people, you posted this recently http://www.proz.com/topic/97132 - a real eye-opener on what "electronic leashes" (to borrow Victoria's perfect expression), we're putting ourselves on.

Absolutely! But that report wasn't about Blackberries or the latest gadget out there. It was about getting rid of any piece of technology that we DEPEND ON, for whatever reason, and how long could we "survive" without them. I personally could live (more like adapt ) without email on the go; most people do anyway. But seriously, I can't imagine not having a computer and/or internet.

[Edited at 2008-02-19 14:17]

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
أوكرانيا
عضو (2003)
أنجليزي إلى اوكراني
+ ...
Geographical and financial considerations... Feb 19, 2008

Vadim Poguliaev wrote:You won't believe, but they are forbidden in Russia because of encryption. Our KGB doesn't want us to have secrets=)

Just out of curiosity (I do have blackberry - in June, mostly I checked and discovered that the Ukrainian KGB is not so suspicious:
BlackBerry® from XXX – is an end-to-end solution for reliable remote access to your corporate e-mail right from your mobile phone. The service is accessible for XXX corporate clients in XXX network in Ukraine as well as in the networks of GPRS roaming partners of XXX...

And then - the TARIFFS:
Single charge for service activation ... - UAH 42 000,00 (approximately $US 8,400.00 - EIGHT THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED ABSOLUTELY AMERICAN DOLLARS)

Clients often bargain for a lower rate telling me that life in Ukraine is supposed to be very cheap!

P.S. Forgot to mention that all fees on mobile devices, commincation, etc are charged additiona; 7% on account of the National Pension Fund

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a Blackberry?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »