Michael Frischhut
Michael Frischhut
Local time: 22:04
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
comparing Transit Trados and Across Aug 22, 2007

Regarding the work with an existing glossary in Excel, from what I understand till now:
Trados: you work with Multiterm, creating a termbase. While you work in the workbench you can see the matches with the termss of your glossary in a special window

Transit: you work with the TermStar Glossary and all matches with your glossary are automatically marked in red in the original text - sounds like giving you a better overview, right?

Across: has anyone experience wit
... See more
Regarding the work with an existing glossary in Excel, from what I understand till now:
Trados: you work with Multiterm, creating a termbase. While you work in the workbench you can see the matches with the termss of your glossary in a special window

Transit: you work with the TermStar Glossary and all matches with your glossary are automatically marked in red in the original text - sounds like giving you a better overview, right?

Across: has anyone experience with across?

Apart from working with bilingual excel glossaries, I heard that with Trasit you can automatically create a grossary from an existing translation. Let´s say you have to translate an annual finacial report. You can download from the internet the annual report in English and in German. Now Transit has a tool to create a glossary by going through the last year´s report and extracting all relevant words in English and german - do you have experience with that tool?
Is there a possibility in Trados to CREATE a glossary from an existing translation in Trados?
Collapse

Hayley Goodstein
Hayley Goodstein  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
DejaVu has Lexicon for project-specific terminology Aug 22, 2007

Eva Resch wrote:

...Apart from working with bilingual excel glossaries, I heard that with Trasit you can automatically create a glossary from an existing translation. ...Now Transit has a tool to create a glossary by going through the last year´s report and extracting all relevant words in English and german - do you have experience with that tool? Is there a possibility in Trados to CREATE a glossary from an existing translation in Trados?

I haven't worked with Transit, and as far as I know Trados doesn't do anything like that, although I'd be _very_ interested to find out that it does.

However, recently while testing out different TM tools, I noticed that DejaVu X has a "Lexicon" tool. Lexicon scans your current project documents and will extract repetitive terminology and phrases and then look for them in your memory, creating a project-specific glossary. If you previously align and import your legacy documents (last year's reports in the German example), then DVX should find the "approved" terms. Or once it finds the terms, you can enter the translation from the client's glossary. The nice thing about Lexicon is that it's for the current project only. That way if you have client-specific terminology, it will "give" it to you. When you are finished with the project, you also have the option to add it to your term base to make it available for all projects.

Theresa Lung
Theresa Lung  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
I like SDLX!!! Aug 24, 2007

Eva Resch wrote:

Is there a possibility in Trados to CREATE a glossary from an existing translation in Trados?

I think Multiterm 2007 Extract may do so. But I am not sure as the feature included in Multiterm 2007 is only a trial version. You need to buy it separately and it is very expensive.

By the way, I found that Multiterm is very difficult to use. I always fail to convert and import an Excel file. It is not user-friendly. I don't know why it can't import directly to Multiterm but have to open a separate program to do the conversion and then import it.

SDLX Termbase is much easier to use and, Heinrich Pesch, I like the SDLX editor, too. I like its user interface, very clear and there would not be so much "TAGS" that affect you viewing the "TEXT". It seems much better than the TagEditor. I think SDLX should do a research and think about to integrate the two software when they are making the next version product and not just put two different software together.

I like SDLX!!!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Read the instruction I provided Aug 24, 2007

Theresa Lung wrote:
I think Multiterm 2007 Extract may do so. But I am not sure as the feature included in Multiterm 2007 is only a trial version. You need to buy it separately and it is very expensive.

By the way, I found that Multiterm is very difficult to use. I always fail to convert and import an Excel file. It is not user-friendly. I don't know why it can't import directly to Multiterm but have to open a separate program to do the conversion and then import it.

SDLX Termbase is much easier to use and, Heinrich Pesch, I like the SDLX editor, too. I like its user interface, very clear and there would not be so much "TAGS" that affect you viewing the "TEXT". It seems much better than the TagEditor. I think SDLX should do a research and think about to integrate the two software when they are making the next version product and not just put two different software together.

I like SDLX!!!

Try to follow the steps described there, don't forget to assign the correct indexing to the languages and everything will work.
As for TAGs - seeing them helps and does not disturb at all. Format painting, as suggested in SDLX is not precise and on top does not work always (for me).

Jerzy

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It depends on which CAT you want to use Aug 27, 2007

Eva Resch wrote:
We have various clients who send us obligatory glossaries in Excel. Can anyone help me to find the best way of working with glossaries?

It's not really clear from your question whether you want to use Trados or another CAT tool. I would say terminology handling is not one of Trados' strong points and IMHO, a few other tools do this much better than Trados.

- With Trados, you can use import Excel glossaries into Multerm as outlined by Jerzy.

- With Wordfast, you can convert Excel glossaries to tabulated text form. The terms found in your documents to be translated are then highlighted and you can insert them by a keystroke or automatically as each segment is opened. You can use up to three termbases.

- With Déjà Vu DVX you can import Excel glossaries directly into a termbase. The terms found can be assembled automatically during interactive translation or during pre-translation and are displayed in a list in a pane together with other portions from the translation memory and a project-specific lexicon. 2 termbases can be used with the professional version.

- With MemoQ you can import Excel glossaries after saving as CSV. You can also import glossaries in TMX form. You could also import glossaries into a translation memory as well (you can have several) and you can then assemble all the terms found automatically by pressing F4 or during pre-translation with the assemble from portions option checked. The terms found in each segment in the grid are highlighted in light blue.

BR,
David Turner

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Term extraction Aug 27, 2007

Across: has anyone experience with across?

It has nice packaging but looks very cumbersome from the translator's viewpoint. The manuals seem to treat you like a cog in a wheel. It seems project managers love it though.

Apart from working with bilingual excel glossaries, I heard that with Transit you can automatically create a grossary from an existing translation. Let´s say you have to translate an annual finacial report. You can download from the internet the annual report in English and in German. Now Transit has a tool to create a glossary by going through the last year´s report and extracting all relevant words in English and german - do you have experience with that tool?

Several tools can do this: Déjà Vu DVX with its built-in lexicon builder, Transit, as you say, and Similis. Possibly others. Logiterm is also good for this as well as being one of the best alignment tools.

Trados has a separate (and expensive) term extractor tool.

BR,
David Turner

[Edited at 2007-08-27 10:50]

Michael Frischhut
Michael Frischhut
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 27, 2007

dear all, thanks for that great help

Mirzo
Mirzo  Identity Verified
Tajikistan
Local time: 01:04
Tajik to English
+ ...
Thanks to Vito!! Nov 6, 2007

Thanks to Vito for such a simple and fruitful explanation in http://www.textnart.de/VitosCorner/MultiTerm%20Convert.html
It helped more than Trados's manuals.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

use of Excel glossaries in Trados or Transit or other

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »