你认识那个“床铺”吗?
Thread poster: Meixia Jordan
coolfool
coolfool
China
Local time: 17:00
Chinese to English
It rests on who says "we" Jan 8, 2017

If Mr. Trump, and his like, not I, says we..., it may have something to do with the royal "we". It's common sense.

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 03:00
English to Chinese
敏感点 Jan 8, 2017

ysun wrote:
当原话模棱两可时,译者不应加以澄清,即所谓“模糊来,模糊去”。

作为普遍的翻译原则,这是毫无疑义的。但好的翻译也应该让人读得出原话中藏有玄机。
从新闻的角度看,川普的前一句话基本上是中规中矩。“但是”话锋一转,又开了一道门缝,留下不大不小的悬念,顿成媒体关注的焦点。

这样译如何:

“我在一月二十号之前不会见任何人,因为那在政治上有一点不妥。不过,再看吧。”

[修改时间: 2017-01-08 04:27 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
What is your point? Jan 8, 2017

coolfool wrote:

If Mr. Trump, and his like, not I, says we..., it may have something to do with the royal "we". It's common sense.

If my understanding is not wrong, when you said “Experience and experiences tell me, native English speakers, like Chinese, sometimes say we, but actually mean you", you tried to explain that Trump’s words "We'll see" actually mean "You'll see". Nevertheless, I doubt whether the royal “we” has anything to do with your above argument even if Trump were entitled to use the royal “we” to refer to himself.

In 1989, Margaret Thatcher, then Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, was met with disdain by some in the press for using the 'royal we' when announcing news that she had become a grandmother.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/401700.html

[Edited at 2017-01-08 21:19 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
"We'll see" Jan 8, 2017

Fargoer wrote:

这样译如何:

“我在一月二十号之前不会见任何人,因为那在政治上有一点不妥。不过,再看吧。”

我十分赞成"再看吧"的译法。我认为,Steve 在前面建议的“再看吧”、“再说吧”,也都是最简洁、最符合语境、语气的译法。
http://www.proz.com/post/2617823#2617823

如果你对我说,“过完春节咱俩一起去 Yukon 打猎吧”,我会说 "I'll see",即“再说吧”。你千万别以为我的意思是“我将拭目以待”。但如果你说,你会打一头大熊给我瞧瞧。这时我才会说,“我将拭目以待!”

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
漏看了这一帖 Jan 8, 2017

wherestip wrote:

Indeed. 比较通俗的口头语就是 “再看吧”、“再说吧”。

抱歉,Steve。我漏看了您这一帖。“We'll see" 也算是英语里的口头语吧?

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
English to Chinese
哈哈! Jan 8, 2017

ysun wrote:

如果你对我说,“过完春节咱俩一起去 Yukon 打猎吧”,我会说 "I'll see",即“再说吧”。你千万别以为我的意思是“我将拭目以待”。但如果你说,你会打一头大熊给我瞧瞧。这时我才会说,“我将拭目以待!”

如果你对我说,“过完春节咱俩一起去 Yukon 打猎吧”,我会说:" I am not going to hunt anywhere because I don't have proper hunting gear. But we'll see. "你懂的。

coolfool
coolfool
China
Local time: 17:00
Chinese to English
I, and I alone, am all at sea Jan 9, 2017

Experience and experiences tell me (Is the logic here wrong? I don't think so) native English speakers, like Chinese, sometimes say we, but actually mean you.

The above means not only sometimes native English speakers say we but actually mean you, but also sometimes they say we but mean we.

Experience and experiences tell me, too, when someone says we, someone else sometimes takes it as you and sometimes takes it at face value.

That depends.

It
... See more
Experience and experiences tell me (Is the logic here wrong? I don't think so) native English speakers, like Chinese, sometimes say we, but actually mean you.

The above means not only sometimes native English speakers say we but actually mean you, but also sometimes they say we but mean we.

Experience and experiences tell me, too, when someone says we, someone else sometimes takes it as you and sometimes takes it at face value.

That depends.

It's of common sense.

And it's that simple.

Picking a part and ignoring the other, by design not, isn't, I'm afraid, a right attitude to learning foreign languages. It isn't a sound state of mind, either, I fear.
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
具体问题具体分析 Jan 9, 2017

成语“纸上谈兵”给我们的启示是:空谈理论,不能解决实际问题。此句中的“我们”显然包括 “we” 和 “you”。

http://www.zdic.net/c/8/151/336366.htm

《史记·廉颇蔺相如列传》记载:战国时赵国名将赵奢之子赵括,年轻时学兵法,谈起兵事来父亲也难不倒他。后来他接替廉颇为赵将,在长平之战中。只知道根据兵书办,不知道变通,结果被秦军大败。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Putting common sense to work Jan 9, 2017

coolfool wrote:

coolfool,

If the pronoun “we” in Trump’s words may have something to do with the royal "we" as you mentioned above, how would you translate Trump’s words “we’ll see” into Chinese? I'm all ears.

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 05:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Common Sense Jan 10, 2017

wherestip wrote: Conventional English usage

wherestip wrote:

比较通俗的口头语就是 “再看吧”、“再说吧”。

wherestip wrote: neutrality

ysun wrote: 客观、中立

作为一名翻译,应持中立立场,客观地进行翻译,丝毫不能夹带任何感情色彩。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
“the Royal we” 的翻译 Jan 11, 2017

轻松一下!

Trump: “We’ll see” — “朕将拭目以待!”

Margaret Thatcher: “We have become a grandmother.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Gxruh-pLI

显然,撒切尔夫人太高兴、太激动,有点语无伦次,但心情可以理解。

Meixia Jordan
Meixia Jordan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
笑一笑 Jan 12, 2017

ysun wrote:

轻松一下!

Trump: “We’ll see” — “朕将拭目以待!”

Margaret Thatcher: “We have become a grandmother.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Gxruh-pLI

显然,撒切尔夫人太高兴、太激动,有点语无伦次,但心情可以理解。

哈哈!的确是孤家寡人啊!不是拭目,而是忐忑等待新总统的政策!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
笑一笑,十年少 Jan 12, 2017

https://www.facebook.com/RudeJokesForTheOverTwenties/posts/810401052436286

An airplane was about to crash. There were 4 passengers on board, but only 3 parachutes.

The little boy said (to the Pope), "That's okay, Your Holiness, there's a parachute left for you. America 's smartest President took my schoolbag."

Meixia Jordan
Meixia Jordan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
什么无腿行万里? Jan 12, 2017

[/quote]

我曾经读过这个joke,不过是德语版的!关于某人智慧的传言流传得真快!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
‘We’ Jan 12, 2017

"... that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
— President Abraham Lincoln

“America is not the project of any one person. Because the single most powerful word in our democracy is the word ‘We.’ ‘We The People.’ ‘We Shall Overcome.’ ‘Yes, We Can.’ That word is owned by no one. It belongs to everyone.”... See more
"... that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
— President Abraham Lincoln

“America is not the project of any one person. Because the single most powerful word in our democracy is the word ‘We.’ ‘We The People.’ ‘We Shall Overcome.’ ‘Yes, We Can.’ That word is owned by no one. It belongs to everyone.”
— President Barack Obama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXhfBf1DD9k
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

你认识那个“床铺”吗?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »