Student Start Up: Do You Think It\'s Possible?
Thread poster: LLarose (X)
LLarose (X)
LLarose (X)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2002

Hello all!

I\'ve done some translation in my previous jobs (environment, technical, internet), but now I wish to become a *real* translator (as opposed to being the one bilingual person in the company everyone turned to! ).

I\'m starting a translation certificate this January, and in the meantime, I am working on my business and marketing plans, learning about the art and the tools of translation, etc. ... See more
Hello all!

I\'ve done some translation in my previous jobs (environment, technical, internet), but now I wish to become a *real* translator (as opposed to being the one bilingual person in the company everyone turned to! ).

I\'m starting a translation certificate this January, and in the meantime, I am working on my business and marketing plans, learning about the art and the tools of translation, etc.

I am thinking of contacting several agencies for information interviews on the business and possibly interest them in my skills.

My question is this: do you think I can get work as a translator in (or out of) agencies without a diploma?

Collapse

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proper training first Jan 10, 2002

Hi, unknown asker

This topic has been discussed before, you can read previous threads in these forums.

In my opinion everybody should be properly trained before entering the real arena.

Imagine this: You need to have a document translated (you are the client); you go to an agency, hire them, and they assign the job to someone who is not qualified. You get a low quality translation. Wouldn\'t you feel cheated? I would.
... See more
Hi, unknown asker

This topic has been discussed before, you can read previous threads in these forums.

In my opinion everybody should be properly trained before entering the real arena.

Imagine this: You need to have a document translated (you are the client); you go to an agency, hire them, and they assign the job to someone who is not qualified. You get a low quality translation. Wouldn\'t you feel cheated? I would.

Study, get your degree. In the meantime, practise a lot, read a lot, ask your teachers or translator friends to review what you translate. Do not begin real work too soon; you may get some jobs, but if you want to become a professional translator then be professional from the very beginning. It will pay in the long run.

Good luck and best regards,

Patricia

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-10 22:40 ]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:40
German to English
+ ...
Bravo, Patricia - absolutely correct and to the point! Jan 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-10 19:07, p_lutteral wrote:

Hi, unknown asker

Imagine this: You need to have a document translated (you are the client); you go to an agency, hire them, and they assign t... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-10 19:07, p_lutteral wrote:

Hi, unknown asker

Imagine this: You need to have a document translated (you are the client); you go to an agency, hire them, and they assign to job to someone who is not qualified. You get a low quality translation. Wouldn\'t you feel cheated? I would.

Study, get your degree. In the meantime, practise a lot, read a lot, ask your teachers or translator friends to review what you translate. Do not begin real work too soon; you may get some jobs, but if you want to become a professional translator then be professional from the very beginning. It will pay in the long run.

Good luck and best regards,

Patricia

No training, no degree --> no translator Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
French to English
Qualifications Jan 26, 2002

Just checked your profile. You indicate that you already have a first and second degree a BSc in Chemistry and an MSc in Environmental Science - if I got it right - plus a certain number of years professional experience. You may already have sufficient experience to be of interest to a number of decent agents. Make sure they are serious businesses and that your first jobs will be proof-read. This will give you first hand knowledge of how agents work.

On pricing. Don\'t sell
... See more
Just checked your profile. You indicate that you already have a first and second degree a BSc in Chemistry and an MSc in Environmental Science - if I got it right - plus a certain number of years professional experience. You may already have sufficient experience to be of interest to a number of decent agents. Make sure they are serious businesses and that your first jobs will be proof-read. This will give you first hand knowledge of how agents work.

On pricing. Don\'t sell yoursell too short. You might just be putting out one or two tenatative feelers to test the water. If you have sufficient ability to be of interst to agencies, they should pay a reasonable rate, although you probably won\'t get the full basic rate as they may be spending time on having it proof-read.

You may land lucky with a good agency, you may also have rotten luck. There are agencies and agencies.
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Jan 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-10 20:16, AbacusTrans wrote:

No training, no degree --> no translator

Well then, I guess I\'m no translator. What a disappointment. And after doing all those jobs.

Having my degree in Chinese, a language I long since gave up dreaming of translating out of, and a single course as my only formal training in transl... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-10 20:16, AbacusTrans wrote:

No training, no degree --> no translator

Well then, I guess I\'m no translator. What a disappointment. And after doing all those jobs.

Having my degree in Chinese, a language I long since gave up dreaming of translating out of, and a single course as my only formal training in translation has proven no hindrance for me. Granted, without credentials you need connections (I got my first agency job because the girlfriend of one of my wife\'s ex-boyfriends worked there), but once you get your foot in the door and give a client good, on-time work, they\'ll give you more to do. The ball will roll. Build your résumé, have two or three killer samples handy, and you\'ll go places. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Student Start Up: Do You Think It\'s Possible?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »