Thread poster: Roddy Tannahill
Roddy Tannahill
Roddy Tannahill  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
French to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2001

Having just read through some of the articles regarding the charges that are to be levied from next year for placing bids etc., I wonder whether the organisers of this site are equally keen to urge job posters or askers of Kudoz questions to actually award Kudoz and Browniz once they have their answer. I think it only fair that, if we spend our time searching for the right answer, and the customer accepts it, then we should be rewarded. The Kudoz awarding option should no longer be an option, bu... See more
Having just read through some of the articles regarding the charges that are to be levied from next year for placing bids etc., I wonder whether the organisers of this site are equally keen to urge job posters or askers of Kudoz questions to actually award Kudoz and Browniz once they have their answer. I think it only fair that, if we spend our time searching for the right answer, and the customer accepts it, then we should be rewarded. The Kudoz awarding option should no longer be an option, but rather an obligation. I speak having posted numerous translations on Kudoz over the past few days, and I\'ve only received a few points for my trouble. Grrrr!Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:54
SITE FOUNDER
Grading is an obligation Nov 20, 2001

Past threads have covered this, but properly closing KudoZ questions is considered very important. It is, in fact, an obligation.

A number of steps have been taken, resulting in the percentage of ungraded questions (over two weeks) falling to approximately 10%. More steps will be taken in the future.

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
French to English
Aawarding Kudoz points Nov 21, 2001

Just to say that sometimes it is impossible to award any points as none of the answers given actually corresponds to the question. Sometimes I find the answer elsewhere. I never know what to do in that situation. Award points anyway? On what basis? Doesn\'t happen all that often, mind you. Usually I get a good answer very quickly and I very much appreciate it.

Mary

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:54
SITE FOUNDER
Unacceptable answers should be declined Nov 21, 2001

It is possible to decline unacceptable answers. If all answers are unacceptable, all should be declined.

Sorry for my last post, which was misleading.

Raymond Chu
Raymond Chu
Taiwan
Local time: 22:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
To award or not to award KudoZ points Nov 21, 2001

I agree that all askers should consider awarding KudoZ points an obligation unless none of the answers is acceptable, in which case perhaps the asker should be given the chance to say so. Recently, I have worked out for my own use a list of about 20 askers who in the past two months posted questions on English > < Chinese translation but failed to award KudoZ points despite that some of the answers appeared to me to be appropriate. Certainly I would refuse to give answer to any question posted i... See more
I agree that all askers should consider awarding KudoZ points an obligation unless none of the answers is acceptable, in which case perhaps the asker should be given the chance to say so. Recently, I have worked out for my own use a list of about 20 askers who in the past two months posted questions on English > < Chinese translation but failed to award KudoZ points despite that some of the answers appeared to me to be appropriate. Certainly I would refuse to give answer to any question posted in the future by one of the names in my list.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Awarding of Kudoz - an obligation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »