Too many jobs have rush deadlines
Thread poster: DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 22:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are right Nov 8, 2001

In fact, the PROZ job page should write what you said\" to translate a document it takes mote time time than to write it.\"

People at PROZ should pick up your words.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 17:56
German to English
+ ...
Quantity, quality, price Nov 8, 2001

I have to say that I agree with Ralf - 3,500 words is perfectly reasonable for me, with or without CAT and without sacrificing quality. Before going freelance, I worked as an in-house translator, the focus was certainly on quality and our minimum output was 10pp per day, not to mention extensive terminology work to populate the database too!

One of the best quotes I have heard on the matter is \"When it comes to translation, there are three major factors - quantity, quality
... See more
I have to say that I agree with Ralf - 3,500 words is perfectly reasonable for me, with or without CAT and without sacrificing quality. Before going freelance, I worked as an in-house translator, the focus was certainly on quality and our minimum output was 10pp per day, not to mention extensive terminology work to populate the database too!

One of the best quotes I have heard on the matter is \"When it comes to translation, there are three major factors - quantity, quality and price. When it comes to setting your deadlines, you can choose two.\"

I guess that says it all.
Collapse

Ursula Derx
Ursula Derx  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2005)
English to German
"Educating" clients or just explaining properly about the work flow! Jan 2, 2002

So glad you all feel the same about these deadlines! I stopped bidding for such jobs completely, I think it makes no sense at all!

The good news is, direct clients usually understand better than I thought. I usually try to explain the work flow:

alternative 1: 1 translator working

-> xxxx words per day

alternative 2: many translators working

-> xxxx words per day per translators

-> xxxx words per day by project manager for proof readi
... See more
So glad you all feel the same about these deadlines! I stopped bidding for such jobs completely, I think it makes no sense at all!

The good news is, direct clients usually understand better than I thought. I usually try to explain the work flow:

-> xxxx words per day

-> xxxx words per day by project manager for proof reading, coordinating terminology and quality assurance

-> usually it\'s faster to have 1 translator do the job!!!

Second point:

CAT tools are primarily used to increase quality, i.e. consistency

-> Do you think I am right? Or are they really fasten you up?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Speed Jan 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-02 20:10, uderx wrote:

-> xxxx words per day

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-02 20:10, uderx wrote:

-> xxxx words per day

-> xxxx words per day by project manager for proof reading, coordinating terminology and quality assurance

-> usually it\'s faster to have 1 translator do the job!!!

Second point:

CAT tools are primarily used to increase quality, i.e. consistency

-> Do you think I am right? Or are they really fasten you up?

Hi Ursula - Happy New Year!

You\'re right about quality/consistency, but I also think speed can be improved. This obviously depends on the type of job involved, but being able to pre-translate large-sized jobs (e.g. annual reports) while the source text is still being edited, with final changes incorporated at the end of the project, has proven to be a major benefit of CAT tools for me. ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too many jobs have rush deadlines

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »